Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Flapper Flea Finds

Panoply sisters are always on the lookout for each other when shopping vintage finds. We know each other's style, and sometimes things just speak to us and we pick them for each other. Such was the case when my sisters M & J shopped a flea market over Labor Day without me. They brought me home a few prizes, as we like to call them, and gave them to me when we were together in early October. :)
Flapper Flea Prizes
They know my love of all things Flapper! The oil cloth Flapper doll head pictured on the left (above) was probably just some sort of boudoir pillow, common of the era and the 'look' made famous by the likes of actresses Clara Bow and Louise Brooks. Her skin's a little wrinkled and dried out now, but yours will be too, if you live to be 95 or so.

The sterling silver clothes or hat brush is yet another addition to my collection, the last one most recently seen in my post on September Vintage Acquisitions. This one is unique in that it is monogrammed with a simple "C".

The HAT. I have loved cloche style hats for the longest time, the consummate Flapper style, and this one is super cute in its material. Do you recognize how it's made? It's a crocheted doily, starched and shaped over a stiff, tulle band, with a velvet ribbon trim on the outside. In other words, it's a make-do cloche!
Sterling clothes / hat brush, Flapper cloche
Of course, I had to try it on for size. (Check out that baby head on the shelf admiring my Flapper flair). I have a hard time getting hats to fit {my big head} and, like most everything from the past, heads seemed to have been smaller too, so it was a surprise that this one actually fit.
Flapper cloche on moi
Thanks, seesters! I love my Flapper flea prizes! Don't you love it when you get surprised with a find that is just your style, new or old?

As always, I appreciate your visit! 
Rita C. at Panoply
(A special thanks to Dagmar at Dagmar's Home Thrifty & Vintage Finds , to Jill at Bella Rosa Antiques' Lets Talk Vintage!, and to Linda at Coastal Charm's Show and Share No. 286 for featuring this post!)


Sharing with any given number of these fine hosts:

No comments:

Post a Comment