Monday, November 23, 2015

Ch..ch..ch...changes

Hello, readers! It's been awhile since I've published a post, I know. Lots of changes going on, all around, in both my home and garden. I've been UNdecorating fall, and just beginning to decorate for the holidays and winter.
Seasonal Textiles, Fall to Winter 2015
My front porch is going through an identity crisis. I've been trying to keep things from looking like a Halloween/Christmas transformer of some sort. After this week, all holds are barred.
Porch Transformation, Fall 2015 (Starting Top L, Clockwise)
Almost all the leaves are gone from the trees here, and 2015 did not disappoint with the changes we love to see in our region (and our own backyard).
Landscape Fire Maple Evolution, Fall 2015
Last night's 25° will surely take the remaining leaf survivors.
Landscape Japanese Maple, November 16, 2015
Containers are all cleaned out and put away, outdoor water sources are turned off, and hoses are now covered for winter.
Container Cleanup, Fall 2015
A most disturbing event occurred on our riverbank in early November. All of the sassafras saplings we've been nurturing, at least more than 5 years in one case, were taken down in one fell swoop.
At first we thought it malicious mischief by kids, but we've since discovered it was animals - most likely beavers making their home(s) down river. We know this by witnessing a neighbor's peach tree suffering the same fate a couple weeks later, with the evidence clearly remaining behind.
Peach Tree Remains 2015
I love seeing the garden get cleaned up, and the beauty of the pansies planted in the annual beds. These little smiling faces will be my saving grace as the weather otherwise wears on my psyche in the coming months.
Annual Landscape Panies, Fall 2015
Oh dear, I nearly forgot to mention some other pretty major transformations experienced in the last month. My desktop has been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I also purchased a new tool - a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. It's been a fairly smooth transition, although it did take an entire day to organize photos, documents and music to the OneDrive.

Speaking of music, I've flipped the switch to turn on all my holiday tunes. I've also been enjoying listening to the new music purchased from these two artists:
Adele 25
Seal 7
Funny, each of the above artists' new releases are identified by numbers, something I can identify with. That's another area I've been busy with over the past month - working on estimating our household's tax position, planning optimal outcomes. Mr. P. is almost completely retired, and that prompted new strategic planning and "what-if" scenarios.
Tax Planning 2015
One thing which has remained constant in the past month or so, and that is Panoply's continued quest for fun finds. We were fortunate to be invited to a friend's 1740 cabin and adjoining farm to pick a few items prior to her sale of the property.
Friend's 1740 Cabin
It was a bittersweet encounter, indeed, and we were sensitive to the situation. We chose a varied assortment, mostly primitives and, just this past weekend, divided the choices among us three sisters.
Panoply's Farm Picks, Late October 2015
In a funk, in a need of more junk, sister M and I just returned from Cincinnati this past weekend. Always a fun time, we explored our favorite haunts, and came away with more picks. A pick post may be in the near future, but the more likely scene will be my getting the house in holiday style.

Thanks to those of you who have contacted me, wondering if I'm okay. It's just been many different kinds of busy lately. Many thanks to all who have left comments and shares on my last post, Panoply's Chris Missy. She's still in the shop, and at this point, I'm beginning to think I should bring her home for the holidays. I'll be hosting my family again for Christmas Eve, and she could be quite the front door hostess. :)

As always, your visits, comments, and loyal readership are welcome, and much appreciated!

Rita C. at Panoply

Sharing with any given number of these fine hosts:

No comments:

Post a Comment